fbpx

Zavala

Nature in all its pristine glory

ZAVALA

Pompeii of Popovo since 1362

Foundations of an early christian church were found at the archeological site Crkvina, which was erected between 9th and 11th century. Thee foundations are placed on the list of national monuments. The remains of stone plastic, which were found here, can very likely be found inside the museum in Trebinje, the orthodox monastery and other houses.

The nearby hill, Klisura, located in the direction of Belenići, contained a town called Popovo city (Popovski grad), which is mentioned in 1444. as the possession of Herceg Stjepan Vukčić Kosača.

The widely known cave Vjetrenice is situated inside Zavala, which makes this place a really attractive tourist center of Ravno Municipality.

A cave habitat from the Bronze age was found inside the Orlovica cave. Many relics from that age were found inside this habitat.

Zavala is full of natural springs. This was the reason for the 1898 Austro-Hungarian transformation of the spring Bitomišlje, which was used to fill up the local well, into a train station used to supply water to the locomotives.

The first biospeleological musem in the world was opened in Zavala in 2016. It has many props and fossils which were found inside Vjetrenica, as well as old equipment formerly used for cave exploration.

Another one of Zavala’s attraction is the monastery of Ascension of the Holy Virgin Mary. Pictured here, it has been mentioned in historical sources since 1514, when a man named Iguman Seraplon bought a vineyard in Orahov Do.

The interior of the monastery was painted by the monk Georgije Mitrofanović, and it also doubled as a copyist school. The monastery was placed in the list of protected national monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina.