INTERESTING LOCALITIES AND OBJECTS
Ravno Municipality is filled with many localities and objects which are simply interesting to know about and to look at, with some of them dating since the 9th century.
You can read and perhaps even learn something about them here.
Piles are cemeteries from the bronze age, named as tumuluses by archeologists. They are about 4000 years old, and were used as burial grounds for tribal leaders and dignitaries. They were also used later on for burying victims of infectious diseases.
Another type of piles were used as guideposts and were erected near roads, while the piles placed on top of the hills are actually walls of prehistorical forts, and they are called “gradinas” (little towns or hillforts).
Guvnos and salaši were built at the shores of Popovo polje
Guvnos (singular: guvno) are autochthonous traditional stone buildings which were used for grain grinding, which was later separated from the thatch.
Salaši were used for corn storage and drying due to swift and sudden river flooding.
Guvnos are mostly round shaped and they, along with salaši, make up the economic complex of this Municipality. Due to their special status and excepional preservation, salašes and gumnos are one of the big tourist attractions of the Municipality of Ravno.
Strmica is a village (a livestock settlement) which is located near the border with Croatia. It is situated near the main road Trebinja – Ravno, near the Red field and the Golden piles. It is mentioned in historical sources from 1639, once belonging to the Dubrovnik littoral, however it was traded for Litorica.
It was home to as many as 76 families at one time, and it’s famous for being the center od “hajduks”, rebels against the Ottoman rule, and it served as a haven for hajduks Baja, Limov and Petar Raguž.
Placed near Trebinja, Pećina is mentioned since 1639. Formerly it was placed more to the south, near the Ostrvica locality. It was named after the big cave located near the village. On the way towards Pećina a prehistorical fort can be found, most likely built during the bronze or iron age.
Dužica is a village placed near Trebinja. It was moved from it’s original location, Dolovi, due to rebel attacks. It was first mentioned in 1639 in the report of bishop Rastić, getting its name due to the length of the crease which the oxen are able to plow without rest.
The church of saint Andrew, built in 1968, is located in this village.
Češljari is styled after dalmatian villages. It is located at the bottom of the hill Vjenčanik, between Zavala, and contains all the original stone buildings (such as salašes and kaldrmas) making it a bonafide tourist attraction. First mentioned in 1629, it was however inhabited sooner, a fact confirmed by the existence of two forts from the Ottoman age. It is notable by its intact genuine dalmatian architecture.
The village was named after Češljarići family, whose surname was first mentioned in 1719, while the dual surname Češljarić-Nikolić, used and carried by popovo refugees, is mentioned in 1721.
The church of saint Ante was built here in 1927, which was subsequently restored in 1992, as well as two votive crosses: one located above Pištet, and the other one in Kriva vlaka.
An extensively developed netural system of blowers, considered a true wonder of nature, is located in the field near Češljari. The system is actually a peculiar natural and geological water chamber, created on the surface of underground waterflows which, should the water level suddenly rise, create a dynamic effect which gets neutralized by this blower system, resulting in strange melodies and sounds, which are attributed to mythological creatures by the local populace.
First mentioned in 9th of November, 1468. It’s a birthplace of two bishops carrying the surname Andrijašević (skadar bishop Dominik Andrijašević and sophia archbishop Marko Andrijašević). The village is also the place where the remains of Andrijašević castle are located, as well as the medieval church of st. Nicholas.
Bratogošac is a hill that appears inaccessible. It has served as a hiding place from conquerors even since ancient times. It is appealing to lovers of nature, hikers and speleologists, and it represents quite a challenge to adventurers.
This hill is full of caves, with each of it having its own unique and touching story.
First mentioned in 1434, Velja Međa was subject to Ottoman occupation and frequent rebel attacks. As Luka Vukajlović Velemeđanin and don Ilija Vukas participated in the insurrection against the Ottomans, the village was burned in 1861 and its church demolished.
The residents were known for silkworm breeding, making silk-screened fishing nets and minnow hunting.
Gajic is located a few kilometers southeast of Rupni Do. It has been mentioned in historical sources since 1695 under the name Gajić, and is recognizable by its unique architecture, consisting of stone amphitheatrical fences surrounded by countryside valleys.
The village also has a necropolis with 19 tombstones separated by a fence.
It is located on the sunny side of Janjsko hill, right at the bottom. Near the village are Vrelo and Drenovi potok. It was named after the founder, Belena, and is well-known for its extremely fertile land.
It has been mentioned in historic sources since 1624, and it is also the birthplace of famous Croatian sculptor Dušan Džamonja, and friar Ljudevit Ćurćija, the Irenopolian Archbishop.
Known for its high heights in the form of Olympic circles, the village was first mentioned in historical sources in 1467. The local name of the village is Kijo, after the Old Slavic word for hammer, and it was a home to nine families for a time.
Monuments were erected in this village since 2007, dedicated to World War II victims, as well as to the victims of the Homeland War.
Known as the scholar hothouse and heaven for the palate, Orahov Do is a birthplace of many priests, martyrs and scientists, most notably the Croatian scientist Roger Boskovich. It is very densely packed, with narrow streets and stone houses, which makes it an example of original popovo-littoral architecture.
Remains of roman ceramics and two skeletons were found here, which points towards a possible existence of a roman settlement. The village also has the Romić fort, built during the Ottoman rule.
Slivnica is a settlement placed a hundred or so meters near the main road. It’s mentioned in historical sources since 1422, with a necropolis with 14 tombstones and 12 crates located nearby, as well as four crosses dedacted to the deceased members or Croatian Defence Force.
Slivnica at Površi has been mentioned in historical sources since 1387. This village is the place where the old church of st. Climentius can be found, which has been renovated after the earthquake in 1667. The church courtyard is enclosed by double stonewall with two entrances on opposite sides as per the orthodox tradition.
Slavogostići was named after the Slavogostić family, which resided in the village until 1733.
Zaplanik is a small settlement placed close to Uskoplje, notable by its necropolis containing 18 tombstones, a few of which are embedded directly into the foundations of a church.
The settlement has an old cross placed in front of the ortodox church, which is split into two parts. The old part of the cross has a text written in Croatian cyrillic, and the new part’s text has been engraved in Serbian cyrillic. The cross has been restored after the Homeland war.
Located near Zaplanik, these embankments can be found close to the local macadam road. They stand as testaments to the builders and the architectural building techniques used during the beginning of 20th century. The largest one is 50 meters high.
A gravel pit can be found near these embankments, along with a guard house, known locally as a schenderhaus.
Začula can be found near the former railroad section, with a few prehistorical piles placed close to it, with one of the piles being the largest in the whole Municipality. An orthodox church of st. Jeremiah is also placed there. The church was built in 1930.
This village is notable by its necropolis with its 74 highly decorated tombstones. Out of all the necropolises of this Municipality, the Začula necropolis has the most tombstones.
Remains of catholic church of st. Tekla, first mentioned in 1644., can be seen at the local cemetery. It was placed over the grave of an unknown nobleman, along with a tombstone engraved with two symbols: a sword with shield and a half-moon.
The cemetery is also the place where a necropolis with 21 tombstones can be found.
Grepci is mentioned in historical sources since 1430. The village is home to 35 caves, with the most notable being the Đurković cave, also known as one of the habitats of the cave bear.
Grepci was visited at the beginning of the 20th century by Karel Absolon (1877. – 1960.), while in the middle of the same century Mirko Malez, the founder of Croatian speleoarcheology, also came to this village.
There is a necropolis placed really close to the village, near Bukinje, which also doubles as a viewpoint towards Grepci. The view there is beautiful.
Glavska is the easternmost settlement in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is mentioned in historical sources since 1322.
On the way towards this settlement, from the direction of Ivanica, a monumental long and high walled enbankment can be seen. This enmankment is the biggest railroad enbankment of all the railroads of east Herzegovina. It has been built during the beginning of the 20th century, and it represents a monument to the manual, hands-on building of the enbankments and notches on the railroad section that passes through Glavska. One of the settlements through which it streches is Bijela, known in the folklore as the birthplace of the rebel Starina Novak.
A completely preserved italian bunker fort, pictured above, is located inside this settlement. In addition to the fort, a local graveyard is placed inside the Glavska, near the church of st. archdeacon Stephen.
Built in 1929 by the masons of Ravno. It was demolished during the Homeland war, only to be rebuilt after it by the local populace.
Bobovište is mentioned in historical sources since 1285. It can be visited by following the main road section Ivanica – Trebinje, and can be found just after passing the Drijen village. The local cemetery, along with the church of st. George was built in 2010., has many tombstone, with the most notable being the chest with the wheel motif.